What Smokers Need to Know about the Symptoms of Oral Cancer
Are you a heavy smoker who sometimes suffers from uncomfortable toothaches? Today, we take a look at the symptoms that accompany oral cancer. Keep reading to see if you’re at risk, and then give us a call at (480) 755-1661 to schedule a consultation.
If you’re a smoker, there’s something you need to know: Oral cancer mimics the symptoms of a common toothache. That means that, if you’re constantly dealing with painful toothaches, it may be time to dig a little deeper and see if there’s a more serious problem.
So what are the symptoms of oral cancer? Run through this quick checklist and see how many of these issues you can relate to:
- Do you suffer from toothaches on a regular basis?
- Do you have trouble getting rid of your bad breath?
- Have you noticed unusual red, white, or dark patches or lumps inside your mouth recently?
- Do you sometimes have difficulty chewing, swallowing, or moving your jaw freely?
- Do you sometimes feel like you have something stuck at the back of your throat?
- Do you experience numbness in your mouth from time to time?
- Have your cheeks gotten thicker recently?
- Have you noticed your voice changing recently?
- Do you suffer from unexplained bleeding in your mouth?
- Have you noticed a change in the way your teeth or dentures fit together recently?
Did you answer “yes” to any of the above questions? Have you had these symptoms for more than a couple of weeks? Then it may be time to give Walden Dental a call at (480) 755-1661 to make sure that you are not in the pre-stages of oral cancer.
Smokers have an especially high-risk of dental problems and oral cancer, and so experts recommend that smokers visit the dentist once every 3-4 months. Oral cancer is not difficult to treat and can be resolved quickly if identified early, but many cases of oral cancer are not detected until they have had months to advance and worsen.
Are you regularly inspecting your teeth, cheeks, gums, tongue, and inner lips for unexplained spots or sores? If not, now is the time to start! And then see about scheduling a consultation with Dr. Walden and his team.
Nervous about seeing the dentist? Don’t be! Dr. Walden and his team specialize in anxiety-free sedation dentistry, which means their #1 priority is your comfort. If you have to be at the dentist, why not make it a pain-free and more enjoyable trip?
Tell me about it!
Do you have a mysterious dental or oral condition you can’t figure out? Comment below to let us know and to receive insights from our staff.
Currently rated by 0 people